Pride vs. Humility
“God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble.” ~ James 4:6
Worship songs: Stand in Your Love, Raise A Hallelujah, Death Arrested, How Great Is Our God
"It was Pride that changed angels into devils; it is humility that makes men as angels." - St. Augustine
- Represented by the color violet and the horse
- Pride is excessive belief in one's own abilities that interferes with one's recognition of the grace of God
- Is said to be the original sin
- Is depicted as the root of all sin, with the seven other sins as the branches
- Vain Glory was part of the original seven, eventually being replaced with pride
- Pride will kill you. Pride is the sin most likely to keep you from crying out for a Savior. Those who think they are well will not look for a doctor.
Connection Group Questions:
Pride is the root, or trunk, of all the sins. Connect pride to each of the other deadly sins: lust, gluttony, greed, sloth, anger and envy.
In his essay on undetected pride, Jonathan Edwards points out seven symptoms of the infection of pride:
2. A Harsh Spirit
5. Presumption Before God
6. Desperation for Attention
7. Neglecting Others.
Humility is the cure for pride:
1. Remember Who You Are. (Romans 7:24).
2. Realize What Christ Did for You. (Eph. 2:2-9)
3. Thank God for What He Did. (Col. 2:6-7)