Greed vs. Generosity
Worship songs: Lamb of God, Jesus Paid It All, Stand in Your Love, Jesus We Love You
- "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." -Matthew 6:21
- Definition of Greed: The desire for money more than God.
- Symbolized by the frog and the color yellow.
- It is also called Avarice or Covetousness.
- Violates the greatest commandment in putting money over God and neighbor.
- Arguably the deadliest of all the deadly sins.
Connection Group Questions:
What is your relationship with money? Discuss:
- Power - Nobody can push me around, I will always have control of my life and be strong.
- Happiness - I'll be happiest with copious amounts of money. Not having money causes all the problems in my life. Money will solve all my problems.
- Security - My safety depends on having money. The more money I have, the safer I am/my family is.
- Freedom - Financial independence is all that matters. Once I attain this, I can work for myself, my life will be complete, and I'll never have another worry.
- Love - Having money makes relationships so much easier. If I have lots of money, people will love me more.
- Respect - I worked hard and earned all that money, therefore, I should be respected!
Now, what does money mean to God and the Christ followers? It's His. We manage it by giving, saving and spending. Read Luke 12:16-21 and discuss.