Envy vs. Contentment (The Comparison Trap)
Worship songs: Won't Stop Now, Living Hope, God You're So Good, Here As in Heaven
"I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.." ~ Philippians 4:12-13
- Symbolized by the color green and the dog
- Is maybe the only deadly sin that is no fun
- Jealousy is when you worry someone will take what have;
- Coveting wants what someone else has;
- Envy wants to take what someone else has from them!
- Envy is fed by proximity and comparison
Connection Group Questions:
You could just watch the movie Amadeus (Salieri) or The Incredibles (Syndrome) for a great case study on envy. Or discuss your own struggle with "The Green-Eyed Monster."
Read Proverbs 4:30 and Philippians 4:10-13. Discuss the difference between jealousy and coveting and envy. Have you been playing the Comparison Game? With whom and why? What impact is it having on your peace and contentment? Envy is truly the enemy of love and the greatest commandment(s). How is Christ the secret to contentment?
Contentment Challenge: for Holy Week give up all social media and screens, and focus on Jesus and the cross.