Connection Group Questions 5.9.2021
Series: Signs of Belonging
Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the Lord Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it.
~ Malachi 3:10
- What is the greatest gift you were ever given?
- What was the greatest gift you ever gave?
Read Malachi 3:6-10
6 “I the Lord do not change. So you, the descendants of Jacob, are not destroyed. 7 Ever since the time of your ancestors you have turned away from my decrees and have not kept them. Return to me, and I will return to you,” says the Lord Almighty.
“But you ask, ‘How are we to return?’
8 “Will a mere mortal rob God? Yet you rob me.
“But you ask, ‘How are we robbing you?’
“In tithes and offerings. 9 You are under a curse—your whole nation—because you are robbing me. 10 Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the Lord Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it.
- This passage starts out with a great promise. “I the Lord do not change.” Why is that so vital to our faith?
- The passage then gives us a great hope. “Return to me, and I will return to you.” Have you ever strayed and then returned to God? Share that experience.
- Whom do want to return to the Lord? How can your group pray for and encourage you?
- How is all giving ultimately “returning” or “re-gifting” to God?
- Can we really rob God?
- What is the connection between returning, robbing and tithing?
George mentioned 7 possible “relationships” with money. Which one describes you:
- Stockpiler: Save money for a rainy day.
- Idealist: Money is a necessary part of life, but it’s not your motivation.
- Hedonist: Mo money mo fun!
- Celebrity: Money is status. Stuff shows standing.
- Conquerer: Money is power. It would also mean freedom.
- Nurturer: Money will help you to help others.
- The seventh is Steward: You are a manager of God’s stuff, and you will be held accountable. How can you become a better steward in regard to your disposition toward money?
This passage is ultimately about honoring God with our tithes and offerings. And this message is ultimately inviting you to become a Giver to God through the church.
- God wants His house full of food. What does this mean both physically and spiritually?
- God says to test, or trust Him in this. What does trusting God with your stuff look like or mean to you? Is it hard to trust God? Why, or why not?
- What is your understanding of tithing?
- What is the difference between tithing and offering?
- Without any judgement in your group, do you practice tithing? What is your history of giving to God as an act of worship?
2 Corinthians 9:6-7
6 Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. 7 Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
- Are you a cheerful giver?
- What have you decided, or what will you decide, to give to God?
- How do we grow as we give to God?